India is growing rapidly. In the next two decades, our country will be home to over 1.5 billion people and add substantially to urban habitats, infrastructure, vehicle fleet and industries. Undeniably, India is set for a period of sustained growth in energy demand. Energy is central to achieving India’s development ambitions to support an ever expanding economy and to meet the aspirations of its citizens. Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation seeks to facilitate India’s transition to a cleaner energy future by aiding the design and implementation of policies that promote clean power, energy efficiency, sustainable urban transport and climate action.
India. The world largest democracy. A population of 1.2 billion, almost a third of whom have little or no access to energy. Rapid urbanization is placing a burden on India’s infrastructure, energy consumption and public services. The country is facing a critical challenge: how to provide millions of Indians with access to reliable and affordable energy.
To tackle these challenges, India is putting greater emphasis on meeting energy needs in more sustainable ways. Ambitious clean energy targets are in place. India demonstrated leadership in global climate action with the commitments agreement to at Paris and Kigali. Urban development programmes like the Smart City Mission are guiding the urban agenda. Access to energy is a critical focus for the Government, and several critical energy policies and programmes have been announced.
Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation (Shakti) seeks to facilitate India’s transition to a cleaner energy future by aiding the design and implementation of policies that promote clean power, energy efficiency, sustainable urban transport and climate action. Working collaboratively with policy makers, civil society, industry, think tanks and academia, Shakti seeks to catalyze transformative solutions to meet India’s energy needs in clean and sustainable ways.
The energy choices that India makes in the coming years will be of profound importance. Meaningful policy action on India’s energy challenges will strengthen national energy security, create jobs and keep our environment clean.
- We believe robust policy frameworks are necessary for large scale, transformative change.
- We bring together experts from government (national, state and local decision makers), business , civil society and academia to craft robust policies.
- We evaluate the results of our own work rigorously, measuring success using clear metrics based on quantifiable clean energy contributions.
- We work through cross sectoral strategies with the goal of achieving synergistic results and broad impact
- We emphasise strategic communications to expand our impact and reach.