Priyadarshini Alok, Assistant Programme Manager, Electric Mobility, Shakti delivered a welcome address at the training program on “Integration of Renewable Energy with EV Charging Station” organised by Gujarat Energy Research & Management Institute (GERMI) where she spoke about how Shakti collaborates with civil society, industry, think tanks, and academia to identify and scale energy system interventions that will reduce GHG emissions and tackle climate change.
She mentioned various interventions of RE that could be utilised to EV charging station such as:
- Renewable Energy Generation: Renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydroelectric power, can be harnessed to generate electricity. By installing solar panels or wind turbines at or near EV charging stations, it becomes possible to produce clean and sustainable energy on-site.
- Green Charging Infrastructure: EV charging stations powered by renewable energy sources contribute to reducing the carbon footprint associated with transportation. It promotes the use of clean energy for charging electric vehicles, making the overall charging infrastructure greener.
- Renewable Energy Offset: EV charging stations can be designed to integrate with the local power grid and utilize a mix of renewable energy sources. Excess electricity generated from renewable sources can be fed back to the grid, offsetting the energy consumed during charging. This helps in balancing the intermittency of renewable energy generation and optimizing its utilization.
- Energy Storage Solutions: Integrating energy storage systems, such as batteries, with EV charging stations and renewable energy sources allows for better management of energy flow. Excess renewable energy can be stored in batteries and used during periods of low generation or high demand, ensuring a more reliable and consistent power supply for EV charging.
- Grid Stabilization: The integration of renewable energy with EV charging stations can help stabilize the grid by smoothing out fluctuations in electricity demand. Smart charging systems can be employed to schedule EV charging during periods of high renewable energy generation, further optimizing the utilization of renewable resources and reducing stress on the grid.
- Cost Savings and Environmental Benefits: Utilizing renewable energy for EV charging can result in cost savings in the long run, as the operational costs associated with traditional fossil fuel-based energy sources are eliminated. Moreover, it reduces dependence on non-renewable resources, decreases greenhouse gas emissions, and contributes to a more sustainable and environmentally friendly transportation system.
- Public Perception and Brand Image: Integrating renewable energy with EV charging stations aligns with the growing demand for sustainable practices. It helps build a positive public perception, promotes renewable energy adoption, and enhances the brand image of charging station operators, EV manufacturers, and other stakeholders.