Senior Researcher/ Researcher
Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation (Shakti) works to facilitate India’s transition to a cleaner energy future, by aiding the design and implementation of policies that promote solutions across clean power, energy efficiency, sustainable transport, and climate policy segments.
Over the last many years, Shakti has become a trusted partner of many policymakers who have requested Shakti’s input.
Shakti is funded by global and Indian philanthropies with a strong interest in preventing climate change and mitigating harmful carbon emissions.
For more information, please visit https://shaktifoundation.in/
About the Role
The Climate Insights Unit‘s research function is dedicated to supporting stakeholders in the climate and energy sectors. Shakti’s goal is to identify emerging opportunities for greater adoption of low-carbon technologies in India, with a focus on economic growth, just transition, ecologically sustainable development, and energy security. The research function will encompass the following key areas:
- Monitor developments in various climate mitigation sectors and associated technology, finance, and investment trends;
- Identify promising low-carbon technologies with significant emission reduction;
- Develop modelling capabilities to forecast costs and benefits under various mitigation scenarios;
- Explore innovative policy mechanisms to encourage technology adoption;
- Address tensions between climate solutions and developmental goals;
- Analyse international climate policy, trade and finance for their implications in India.
To achieve the above goals, Shakti’s research function conducts policy and market analyses, collaborate with sector experts, and develop coherent research outputs. Their efforts are focused on improving access to actionable knowledge among the ecosystem of actors working on climate in India and identifying compelling strategies for philanthropic investment.
Shakti is looking to hire two outstanding research professionals, who are passionate about addressing climate change collaboratively with stakeholders.
The positions report to the Director of the Climate Insights Unit (CIU).
The “Researcher / Senior Researcher” in the CIU comprise a researcher and a manager, who will be responsible for designing, overseeing, managing, and conducting research projects, in line with the unit’s priorities. The post holders will also establish research standards and procedures, manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders and inform independent programme research efforts.
- Develop and manage research projects from conception to completion, including data collection, analysis, and presentation of findings;
- Build expertise in energy and emission modelling;
- Monitor developments in technology, policy, and markets across sectors;
- Facilitate working groups and engage with civil society and sector experts to deliberate on developments and solutions;
- Contribute to strategy discussions and identify new research requirements;
- Produce reports and issue briefs, blogs and op-eds that will provide timely insights to stakeholders.
Communication and Engagement
- Prepare communication materials such as thematic presentations and narratives for stakeholders;
- Organise seminars to disseminate findings and discuss potential actions that stakeholders could undertake;
- Provide programmatic inputs to the program and communications team.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
Applicants should have a postgraduate degree or equivalent in public policy, economics or a related stream from a premium university/ institute.
- For Senior Researcher: Five to seven years of relevant research experience in the areas of energy, environment, sustainable development and climate mitigation is essential.
- For Researcher: Three to five years as above.
- Prior experience in designing research projects, undertaking data collection and analysis, facilitating consultations, managing researchers, and publishing research outputs;
- Extensive experience with a variety of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Essential Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of energy policies, regulations, and programmes at international, national, state and city levels;
- Excellent critical and analytical thinking abilities;
- Willingness to explore new areas of research and adopt new analytical frames;
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and presentation skills;
- Proficiency with statistical tools like SPSS, R, and Python;
- Superior teamworking and collaborating skills;
- Drive to achieve high-quality outputs, ownership of delegated responsibilities and commitment to deliver on time.
Gross compensation budgeted for the position is attractive. Please note that the offer made to the selected candidate shall be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and salary history.
Location: New Delhi
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 4081 9900; 4165 3612
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to urgently apply using the link https://bit.ly/Apply-SRRCIU-SSEF by or before October 15, 2023.